Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 19:33:17 UTC 2018

On Friday, 14 September 2018 at 09:23:24 UTC, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 September 2018 at 22:56:31 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Thursday, 13 September 2018 at 22:41:08 UTC, Nick
>> Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:

>>> Right. Basically, "sales stats" should never be misconstrued
>>> as "usage stats".
>>
>> The usage stats are similarly overwhelming, two-thirds of
>> digital time is spent on mobile, more for the young:
>
> Yeah but 90% of the time people spend on mobile is just dicking
> about. Sending IMs, facebook, point and click games. And thats
> a huge part of the usage stats, people can now spend more time
> online wasting time in more situations than ever before.
>
> PCs are generally seen a tool to accomplish tasks, for word
> processing or a high end gaming thing, audio / video editing,
> mobile is more entertainment. Not many people are doing what
> you are by using your mobile as a desktop.
>
> I'm not saying that makes mobile worthless, what I'm saying is
> that your hypothesis is like saying TV has taken over from
> typewriters.

Do you realize most Chromebooks use ARM and have recently
recorded more sales/usage that Windows in some cases? I several
enterprises are adopting use of tablet for on-the-go tasks and
administrative work (especially when combined with the
mini-keyboards). Things are really shifting to ARM.

Another is some that looks exactly like tablets and either run
android or chrome OS. See this slick Pixelbook from Google:
https://store.google.com/us/product/google_pixelbook