Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

tide tide at tide.tide
Sun Sep 16 15:41:41 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 16 September 2018 at 15:11:42 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> I say that almost 30% drop in PC sales over the last 7 years
>>> is mostly due to the rise of mobile.
>>
>> I think a large part of it is that PCs got fast enough for
>> most people about 7-10 years ago. So it was a combination of
>> mobile, and people no longer needing to get newer faster
>> machines. The upgrade cycle moved from "I need a newer faster
>> computer" to "I'll wait till my current system is worn out".
>> (For a lot of people anyway)
>
> Sure, that's part of it, but that suggests that once
> smartphones reach that performance threshold, they will replace
> PCs altogether. I think we've reached that threshold now.

I feel only looking at sales stats is irrelevant. I know people
that have lost their phone and just bought a new phone. They get
stolen a lot more easily. If your screen breaks you are better
off buying a new phone as the cost of replacing the screen is
going to be almost as much as a new one. Someone I know had to
fight his boss to repair his phone cause he didn't want a brand
new iPhone, he still has an Android device and they switched to
Apple a while back. Note, it still costed more to buy the new
phone than repair his old one.

Computers last much longer, I've had the one I have right now for
8 years. It runs everything I need it to. Faster than a
smartphone or tablet, or even most newer laptops still. There's
no reason to buy a new one, not that I would buy a prebuilt one
anyways. Which I'm pretty sure are what those sales represent.
Can't really count a CPU sale as a "PC" sale as it might just be
someone upgrading from their old PC.