phobo's std.file is completely broke!

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Sep 19 06:34:33 UTC 2018

On 09/19/2018 12:04 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 at 01:50:54 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> (Abscissa) wrote:
>> And at least for me, moving from Windows to Linux would have been a
>> LOT harder if it weren't for the OS abstractions that are already in
>> Phobos.
>
> It's one thing to call unlink on POSIX and RemoveFileW on Windows.

Granted.

> Another is adding a good deal of extra logic that performs additional OS
> calls and generates additional GC garbage to work around API problems
> even on systems that don't need it.

- Is it really?

- Does it actually, necessarily perform those additional OS calls?

- If it actually does, are those additional, necessarily OS calls
prohibitively expensive? (Note that this is being compared to the
theoretical minimum of successfully performing the same desired
operation on the same data via the WinAPI, and not compared to the
software which fails to perform appropriate checks for invalid input.)

- How have you determined that the "additional GC garbage" required to
"work around API problems" is still significant "even on systems that
don't need it"?