Visual Studio Code, Code-D and Microsoft's Visual C++ Debugger (cppvsdbg)

Void-995 void995 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 14:37:32 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 at 14:29:27 UTC, Vladimir
Panteleev wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 at 14:22:13 UTC, Void-995 wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Cool!
>
>> What if that will be added as DMD command line option
>
> DMD used to have the switch -gc, which meant to emit debug
> information but pretend to be C as much as possible. It was
> removed as it wasn't considered necessary any more, but this
> looks like the perfect use case for it.
>
> I suppose it's not possible to make Natvis understand D symbols?
>
> Rainer Schuetze would be the person closest to this topic, I
> think. Doesn't Visual D already have something in it to get the
> VS debugger to understand some D types better?

Unfortunately you can't make Natvis to understand D symbols as
it's purely for C++. You can make C# extension for Visual Studio
to do pretty much whatever, but that's not usable much as it
doesn't work for VS Code from what I found (and C# are extremely
complex for this matter from my point of view). I think Visual D
is using Mago internally via DLLs or something, and doing it's
own thing.

Something like -gc would be great to have again (I guess I missed
that one), even -gcpp (to pretend it's C++) that can be used by
pretty printing in GDB (fairly simple changes in Python scripts
from printing standard C++ stuff) and Microsoft's Debugger. So
the classes, namespaces, containers, dynamic arrays can be easily
represented with actually having structure and sense from C++
point of view.