Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Dave Jones dave at jones.com
Wed Sep 19 18:14:47 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 at 07:53:31 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Monday, 17 September 2018 at 22:27:41 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
> wrote:
>>

>> You are making your arguments to fit your desires.
>
> I can't make head nor tails of this claim, you have a talent
> for vague non sequiturs. My arguments are based on data, the
> overwhelming sales numbers I linked. I have no idea what
> desires you think are involved, I suspect you don't either. :)

Data and statistics are open to interpretation and you
consistently interpret them to fit your desired direction.

> If oil production ever drops 30% because some workable
> substitute comes along, as has happened to PCs now, yes, there
> is no chance of stabilization. It will be a steady decline from
> there, as these trends have a kind of momentum.

Only if the new product meets all the use cases of the old
product. Again this is what you dont understand.

>> So you're not averse to having some external hardware sat on
>> your desk. Hmmm.
>
> My original post links to examples of using your smartphone
> connected to a keyboard and monitor or a laptop shell, so I'm
> not sure where you ever got the idea I was against "external
> hardware."

If you're gonna have all that on your desk it's no stretch to
think well i'll have computer on there too.

Oh shit yeah I forgot we're only allowed one computer.

>> Not if you're into high end gaming.
>
> The vast majority of PCs don't have cards capable of that
> either. For the few who want it, there will be specialized
> solutions, whether consoles or whatever.

It's one of the many use cases that mobile doesnt meet. It's one
of the areas where PC sales has been growing year on year.

But of course that doesnt fit your wishful thinking scenario.
Obviously people will ditch PCs for consoles, oh wait they said
that 15 years ago, and now they are saying the opposite.

>> There's no such thing as professional audio breakout box for
>> android AFAIK. Up until a few years ago the problem was
>> Android couldn't do low latency audio, I'm not sure if the
>> situation has changed.
>
> If and when that becomes a market that actually matters,
> somebody will cater to it, just as google optimized the Android
> video stack for VR a couple years ago:

It's not about it being a market that matters, it's a fact that
the kind of processing power and hardware you need for digital
audio workstation isnt met by mobile devices and likely never
will be because it's like 3d rendering. People doing this stuff
always want more cpu cycles, and more bandwidth and storage.

It's not like browsing the web where it gets to a point where
it's good enough, it's never good enough.

>>> And how does that contradict anything I said?
>>
>> It contradicts your statement...
>>
>> "print is pretty much dead"
>>
>> If you can make the argument that print is dead and ebooks
>> booming when print still outsells ebooks in unit sales 2 to 1,
>> and even more than that if you look at revenue then you need
>> to see a shrink. :)
>
> Or I actually understand market dynamics, :) which it's now
> become clear that you don't. This print decline is never going
> to stop.

And yet sales of print books have been up for each of the last
three years.

And you call that decline.

>>> ebooks have peaked while print keeps growing, whereas the
>>> article I linked and this guy's data show ebooks growing and
>>> print continuing to decline.
>>
>> You didnt read the article carefully enough. The growth is in
>> "adult fiction", the market as a whole has fallen.
>
> It's funny how you keep making mistakes and then act as though
> I made them. The article notes that the indie ebook market has
> likely "taken off," more than making up for the slight drop in
> ebook sales from publishers.

LOL, if i tried to say "PC sales are likely levelling out" you'd
be all over it, oh wait you were. Hypocritical much.

> So the reason to look at the 4 to 1 ratio of ebook sales to
> print of adult fiction online is because it's a bellwether, as
> one of the largest market segments that's actually driven by
> consumers.

You're cherry picking the one bit of data that fits your
narrative and then making up some BS about it being a bellwether
for the whole market. Tell you what you find me one reputable
source that backs up your BS about adult fiction being a
bellwether.

>> It's not one or the other. I cant believe you dont understand
>> that.
>
> Yes, yes, we all know how many people are still rocking VHS
> tapes, iPods, point-and-shoot cameras, etc., all the tech I've
> pointed out has basically died off.

Because DVDs (and now streaming) did everything VHS did and more.
Because phones can do everything an IPOD does and more.
Because phones do everything P&S cameras did and more.

Phones do not do everything a desktop PC can do, far from it.
Phones cant do everything a DSLR can do, and likely wont.
etc..

15 years ago, around the time of the original xbox, people were
saying the PC gaming market was doomed, and yet its doing better
than ever.

Why? Because it offers something you dont get with console gaming.

Again something you're blind to.

> Print is as dead as VHS, not in sales yet, but in terms of
> having a future. Everybody knows this, even you.

Except that it's not and you know it.

> Anyway, I'll stop lecturing you on basic economics and
> business, and bow out from responding to these often silly
> arguments from you from here on.

So you finally got tired of repeatedly having your ass handed to
you on a plate. :)