extern(C++, ns) is wrong

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 22:28:43 UTC 2018

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 13:15, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 9/18/2018 5:22 PM, Manu wrote:
> > Thank you Walter for coming to the party!
>
> I suppose I should explain this.
>
> 1. The PR uses a different syntax, i.e. strings instead of identifiers. This
> implies it is not creating a scope, and doesn't interfere with the scoping of
> the existing syntax. The design of the feature is simple and easy to document
> and understand, and doesn't break anything.

Wait up, just to be clear... is this a statement about the PR using
strings different than your perception of the conversation surrounding
this?
This PR implements *exactly* what I was calling for literally the same
day that the first patch introducing support was merged however many
years ago, and every few months thereafter...

I'm just curious to know if this PR was somehow surprising to you.
Because if so, it demonstrates a total and colossal failure to
communicate the preferred design of this feature ;)
It was always desired to be a string from day -1, and the bugzilla
issue presented it that way too.