Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Laurent Tréguier laurent.treguier.sink at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:32:01 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 20 September 2018 at 08:15:39 UTC, Dave Jones wrote:
> Longer battery life is a convenience not a requirement.

What is a convenience and a requirement is completely subjective.
I'd classify the removable battery example as a requirement more
than a convenience, but other people don't.

> You can still buy the old brick phones with longer battery
> life. Smartphones have taken over but they havent killed that
> market completely.

Just like you can buy pretty much any old thing, obviously
markets don't get 100% killed, nobody here is talking about
complete, absolute annihilation of the PC to the point that is
doesn't exist anymore...

> It's not about phones overtaking desktops in the market, that's
> long past, it's about phones killing the desktop market
> completely.

You're just playing on words here.

> All the advantages in the world are no good if it doesnt do
> something you **require** it to do. If I'm doing pro audio
> Android is useless, no hardware, not enough processing power,
> no DAW apps. Doesn't matter if it has an amazing screen, 3
> sims, year long battery, etc etc..

Correction: "All the advantages in the world are no good if it
doesn't do something MOST PEOPLE **require** it to do".
I personally wanted phones to always have a removable battery,
but I'm not representative of the whole population. You're doing
pro audio. Do most people in the world do pro audio ?
I think not.

"no hardware": if it exists in this plane of the universe, so it
must have hardware in some way, don't you think ?
"not enough processing power": IIRC the very beginning of this
train-wreck of a thread was the fact that processing power on
smartphones is constantly increasing... So that's probably just a
matter of time.

There will always be a niche, almost negligible market for
anything. There are still  people using vinyl records after all.
If that's the point you're trying to make, then yes, it's quite
sure that the PC market will *technically* go on forever, there's
no arguing about that. I just don't think this is the kind of
market this thread was all about.