Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Dave Jones dave at jones.com
Thu Sep 20 13:28:11 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 20 September 2018 at 09:32:01 UTC, Laurent Tréguier
wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 September 2018 at 08:15:39 UTC, Dave Jones
> wrote:
>> Longer battery life is a convenience not a requirement.
>
> What is a convenience and a requirement is completely
> subjective. I'd classify the removable battery example as a
> requirement more than a convenience, but other people don't.

Unless lack of the feature in question stops you from doing
something you *must* be able to do with the device then it is not
a requirement.

You can classify however you like, but you can still do
everything you could whether with a fixed or removable battery.
If battery life is a concern you can get a portable charger.

>> You can still buy the old brick phones with longer battery
>> life. Smartphones have taken over but they havent killed that
>> market completely.
>
> Just like you can buy pretty much any old thing, obviously
> markets don't get 100% killed, nobody here is talking about
> complete, absolute annihilation of the PC to the point that is
> doesn't exist anymore...

Markets get "adjusted", some things get killed, AFAIK you cant
buy VHS recorders any more, but you can still buy vinyl records.
In fact the market for vinyl has grown almost 100% in the last 10
years.

Weird but true, people buy stuff for all sorts of reasons.

>> It's not about phones overtaking desktops in the market,
>> that's long past, it's about phones killing the desktop market
>> completely.
>
> You're just playing on words here.

No I'm not, it's what Joakim has been saying all along, and as
you used the same language it's fair to assume you meant the same
as he did.

>> All the advantages in the world are no good if it doesnt do
>> something you **require** it to do. If I'm doing pro audio
>> Android is useless, no hardware, not enough processing power,
>> no DAW apps. Doesn't matter if it has an amazing screen, 3
>> sims, year long battery, etc etc..
>
> Correction: "All the advantages in the world are no good if it
> doesn't do something MOST PEOPLE **require** it to do".
> I personally wanted phones to always have a removable battery,
> but I'm not representative of the whole population.

If I require an 12 channel balanced audio interface, I wont buy a
****ing phone because it cant do that.

If you require a removable battery and cant find a phone that has
one, you will still buy a phone with a fixed battery. Because
your not buying it to charge batteries.

Its a different thing.

> You're doing pro audio. Do most people in the world do pro
> audio ?
> I think not.

Apple survived for 20 years just selling computers mostly to the
pro-audio and publishing industry, its a big market.

> "no hardware": if it exists in this plane of the universe, so
> it must have hardware in some way, don't you think ?
> "not enough processing power": IIRC the very beginning of this
> train-wreck of a thread was the fact that processing power on
> smartphones is constantly increasing... So that's probably just
> a matter of time.

If Sony came out with a PS5 tomorrow that had 100X the power of
the PS4 you think all the developers and users would "nah that's
too much man, we wouldnt know what to do with it, 10X is all we
need"

Or would they be creaming their pants thinking of all the cool
shit that can be done with that kind of processing power.

Pro audio is that, so is video, so is PC gaming.