Tuple DIP

Guillaume Boucher guillaume.boucher.d at outlook.com
Thu Sep 20 17:08:51 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 13 January 2018 at 18:28:55 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> However, this proposal is independent of all the other ones, so
> in the end it is up to Walter and Andrei.

Have there been any discussions regarding the semantics of _?

struct G { ~this() { writeln("destruct"); } }
void main() {
     auto _ = G();
     writeln("here");
}

The DIP currently says this should print first "here" and then
"destruct".

However, as you cannot access the variable later, you most often
want to discard the data right away, i.e. print first "destruct"
and then "here".

I personally find the second interpretation more useful.