Jai compiles 80,000 lines of code in under a second

Guillaume Piolat spam at smam.org
Fri Sep 21 07:48:29 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 20 September 2018 at 23:13:38 UTC, aliak wrote:
> you can create your build recipe inside the program

But this is not a particularly good idea and is even against the
times.

Everyone is moving from powerful languages like makefiles to
_less_ powerful languages (like dub.json) to describe how
programs are built. Why is that so?

The reasons we have dpldocs.info, dub test, dub build etc. are
entirely because we use a _restricted_ DSL to build D programs.
If we were all doing makefiles, it's easy to see there would be
no common structure hence no automated doc generation, testing
etc. Like a C project!

There is a shift from imperative to declarative for build recipes
in all other modern languages and Jai has made (yet another)
wrong choice.