Jai compiles 80,000 lines of code in under a second

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Sep 21 15:32:03 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:53:39AM +0000, Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 21 September 2018 at 07:58:16 UTC, mate wrote:
> > Different sensibilities on where to put restrictions clearly lead to
> > different designs. I am not sure myself what is best.
>
> The more people you have on your team, the more you appreciate the
> restrictions. If you are working on a personal project alone, you are
> in control and have full knowledge of the entire codebase, so
> restrictions are a hindrance. When you are collaborating with someone
> you know only by name from across the globe, being able to reason what
> their code might or may not do is considerably helpful.

+100.  Many things I could get away with in my own personal projects, I
wouldn't do in a team project (which is basically *any* non-trivial
project these days).  Unrestricted freedom to do whatever you want
greatly reduces the ability to reason about the code, which is why these
days structured programming constructs like if/else, while-loops,
functions, etc., are preferred over unrestricted goto's, even though
they are technically "more restrictive".

The challenge is in finding the balance between restriction and not
hampering the programmer's ability to express what he wants without
jumping through hoops (Java's verbosity comes to mind... although, to be
fair, given your typical "enterprise" development environment, this is
not necessarily a bad thing, since it forces even bad code to conform to
a certain predictable structure, which makes it easier to rewrite said
bad code :-P when one of your coworkers turns out to be a cowboy
programmer).  Not an easy balance to strike, which is why designing a
successful programming language is so hard.

Unix is my IDE. -- Justin Whear