Jai compiles 80,000 lines of code in under a second

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Sep 21 15:35:36 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 07:58:56AM +0000, mate via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I realize that with build instructions written in unrestricted
> language it is easier to create a dependency on something else than
> the compiler, such as the OS. Maybe they plan to solve this problem
> with appropriate facilities and discipline.
[...]

Relying on discipline, or rather, assuming discipline on the part of
your coworker, never works, as shown by the past 20 years of failures in
software.  All it takes is for *one* person in a team of arbitrary size
to do something stupid, and the entire tower of cards comes crashing
down.  You need actual, hard restrictions guaranteed by the compiler,
not mere "programming by convention".

It's bad luck to be superstitious. -- YHL