Updating D beyond Unicode 2.0

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 23:18:10 UTC 2018

On Friday, 21 September 2018 at 20:25:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> But identifiers? I haven't seen hardly any use of non-ascii
> identifiers in C, C++, or D. In fact, I've seen zero use of it
> outside of test cases.

Do you look at Japanese D code much? Or Turkish? Or Chinese?

I know there are decently sized D communities in those languages,
and I am pretty sure I have seen identifiers in their languages
before, but I can't find it right now.

Just there's a pretty clear potential for observation bias here.
Even our search engine queries are going to be biased toward
English-language results, so there can be a whole D world kinda
invisible to you and I.

We should reach out and get solid stats before making a final
decision.

> most likely be annoyance rather than illumination when people
> who don't know that language have to work on the code.

Well, for example, with a Chinese company, they may very well
find forced English identifiers to be an annoyance.