Updating D beyond Unicode 2.0

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Sat Sep 22 01:08:26 UTC 2018

On Friday, 21 September 2018 at 20:25:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> But identifiers? I haven't seen hardly any use of non-ascii
> identifiers in C, C++, or D. In fact, I've seen zero use of it
> outside of test cases. I don't see much point in expanding the
> support of it. If people use such identifiers, the result would
> most likely be annoyance rather than illumination when people
> who don't know that language have to work on the code.

...you *do* know that not every codebase has people working on it
who only know English, right?

If I took a software development job in China, I'd need to learn
Chinese. I'd expect the codebase to be in Chinese. Because a
Chinese company generally operates in Chinese, and they're likely
to have a lot of employees who only speak Chinese.

And no, you can't just transcribe Chinese into ASCII.

Same for Spanish, Norwegian, German, Polish, Russian -- heck,
it's almost easier to list out the languages you *don't* need
non-ASCII characters for.

Anyway, here's some more D code using non-ASCII identifiers, in
case you need examples: https://git.ikeran.org/dhasenan/muzikilo