Updating D beyond Unicode 2.0

Thomas Mader thomas.mader at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 12:13:45 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 22 September 2018 at 11:28:48 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Unicode is supposed to be a universal way of representing every
> character in every language. Emojis are not characters. They
> are sequences of characters that people use to represent
> images. I do not understand how an argument can even be made
> that they belong in Unicode. As I said, it's exactly the same
> as arguing that words should be represented in Unicode.
> Unfortunately, however, at least some of them are in there. :|

At least since the incorporation of Emojis it's not supposed to
be a universal way of representing characters anymore. :-)
Maybe there was a time when that was true I don't know but I
think they see Unicode as a way to express all language symbols.
And Emojis is nothing else than a language were each symbol
stands for an emotion/word/sentence.
If Unicode only allows languages with characters which are used
to form words it's excluding languages which use other ways of
expressing something.

Would you suggest to remove such writing systems out of Unicode?
What should a museum do which is in need of a software to somehow
manage Egyptian hieroglyphs?

Unicode was made to support all sorts of writing systems and
using multiple characters per word is just one system to form a
writing system.