Rather D1 then D2

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Sep 22 16:22:31 UTC 2018

This is just so reminiscent of the Python 2 / Python 3 fiasco.

Python 3 was clearly an improvement over Python 2, but the way in which the
changes came to the community caused a violent split. Even after many years,
there are those for whom Python 3 is anathema and not to be used.

The Python community has now moved on, and the Python 3 haters are just left
to their own devices. If they want to come to the community they have to be
accepting that Python 3 is the mainline and not try to undermine that.

The Python community is the most diverse and welcoming community of all the
programming communities I have ever been involved with. The 2/3 war is over, 3
is the one true way. Until 4 is released.

On Sat, 2018-09-22 at 14:31 +0000, Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 September 2018 at 13:25:27 UTC, rikki cattermole
> wrote:
> > Then D isn't the right choice for you.
>
> I think it makes for a better community if we can be more
> welcoming, helpful a gracious instead of responding to criticism
> this way. This is someone who saw enough potential with D to end
> up on the forums but had some gripes with it, after all who
> doesn't? I'm glad he took the initiative to provide us with good
> feedback, and he's not the first to take issue with the
> inconsistent '@' attribute syntax.  I'm sure everyone can agree
> this inconsistency is less than ideal but that doesn't mean D
> isn't right for them and we should respond this feedback like
> this with thanks rather than dismissal.

Someone did say, Use D 2 but without the cruft and it looks and feels like D1.
That seems like a constructive suggestion.

Perhaps D 2 can be improved by getting rid of the cruft and saying backward
compatibility is seriously over-rated.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200