Updating D beyond Unicode 2.0

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Sat Sep 22 16:56:10 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 22 September 2018 at 12:35:27 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> But aren't we arguing about the wrong thing here? D already
> accepts non-ASCII identifiers.

Walter was doing that thing that people in the US who only speak
English tend to do: forgetting that other people speak other
languages, and that people who speak English can learn other
languages to work with people who don't speak English. He was
saying it's inevitably a mistake to use non-ASCII characters in
identifiers and that nobody does use them in practice.

Walter talking like that sounds like he'd like to remove support
for non-ASCII identifiers from the language. I've gotten by
without maintaining a set of personal patches on top of DMD so
far, and I'd like it if I didn't have to start.

> What languages need an upgrade to unicode symbol names? In
> other words, what symbols aren't possible with the current
> support?

Chinese and Japanese have gained about eleven thousand symbols
since Unicode 2.

Unicode 2 covers 25 writing systems, while Unicode 11 covers 146.
Just updating to Unicode 3 would give us Cherokee, Ge'ez
(multiple languages), Khmer (Cambodian), Mongolian, Burmese,
Sinhala (Sri Lanka), Thaana (Maldivian), Canadian aboriginal
syllabics, and Yi (Nuosu).