Then new forum moderation

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 17:10:59 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 22 September 2018 at 14:58:58 UTC, aberba wrote:
> I'm just seeing a ..."Your message has been saved, and will be
> posted after being **approved** by a moderator". This doesn't
> make sense.

positive, which sometimes occurs with very short posts, as was
yours. It was approved a few minutes after it was submitted.

> 1. what criteria decides if my comment deserves approval or not?

Your post is not spam, an attack on other forum members, or
egregiously inflammatory / off-topic.

> 2. Is there a full-time moderator available to ensure there no
> bureaucracy/delay?

There are several persons who receive moderation notices and can
act on them.

I generally receive email throughout the day, so you could at
least count me as a full-time moderator.

> 3. Is it not a much more better approach to delete when its
> reported as inappropriate by the public?

No. We did this until this year. This resulted in:

- Lots of spam (despite the spam filter and CAPTCHA). Web forums
attract a LOT of spambots (and humans paid to post spam).

- Spam in mailing list users' inboxes, even after a moderator
deleted it off the forum, since you can't unsend an email.

The new method catches a lot of spam that would otherwise get
through. You don't see it, but the moderators do.