Then new forum moderation

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Sat Sep 22 19:09:24 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 22 September 2018 at 18:56:28 UTC, Vladimir
Panteleev wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 September 2018 at 17:19:41 UTC, SashaGreat
> wrote:
>> I did by head. But how a newbie would suppose to do that?
>
> For that challenge, you only non-obvious thing need to know is
> the syntax for the modulus and ternary operators, which are
> present in many programming languages. You can do tthe
> calculation with a regular desktop calculator.
>
> If that is too much, you can run the code on run.dlang.io. In
> this case, you only need to know how tocall a function and
> print its result.
>
> If that is also too much, you can ask for help in the #d IRC
> channel.
>
> The software suggests the above two options. In my opinion, it
> is a reasonable compromise, but I'm open to suggestions. (Note
> that at least once, a spammer managed to get through the
> CAPTCHA precisely by simply asking on #d, with a good samaritan
> providing the answer without inquiring further.)
>
>> And by the way, after you do once why need to do every time?
>
> It is needed to prevent flooding. However, successfully solving
> the CAPTCHA a number of times across a period of time while
> logged in will whitelist your account.

But what is there to stop a spammer from doing the same?

I mean it's fairly easy to grab the captcha code and run it
through a D compiler and then post the result automatically.

It's no rocket science, so it really doesn't do much in
preventing I think.

Really it can be automated like:

1. Copy the code
2. Go to run.dlang.io
3. Paste the code
4. Compile it
5. Wait for the output
6. Copy the output
7. Paste the output into the input field
8. Submit

It would take anyone familiar with basic http macros less than 10
minutes to automate that process, even less using a programming
language if it's mass automation.

The forums for D might just not be popular enough for any "bots"
to bother I guess?

I would suggest some real captcha software that are used by the
majority of sites.

And on top of that maybe a flag system.

People being able to flag posts and if a specific post is flagged
by enough people then it'll be "hidden" until moderation takes
action by either making it "visible" again due to invalid
flagging or deleting it because it was a valid flag.

This can help not only against spammers, bots etc. but also when
there are trolls making troll posts etc.