Updating D beyond Unicode 2.0

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 11:18:42 UTC 2018

On 09/21/2018 04:18 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

 > Well, for example, with a Chinese company, they may very well find
 > forced English identifiers to be an annoyance.

Fully aggreed but as far as I know, Turkish companies use English in
source code.

Turkish alphabet is Latin based where dotted and undotted versions of
Latin letters are distinct and  produce different meanings. Quick examples:

sık: dense (n), squeeze (v), ...
sik: penis (n), f*ck (v) [1]
şık: one of multiple choices (1), swanky (2)
döndür: return
dondur: make frozen
sök: disassemble, dismantle, ...
sok: insert, install, ...
şok: shock

Hence, non-Unicode is unacceptable in Turkish code unless we reserve
programming to English speakers only, which is unacceptable because it
would be exclusionary and would produce English identifiers that are
frequently amusing. I've seen the latter in code of English learners. :)

Ali

[1]
https://gizmodo.com/382026/a-cellphones-missing-dot-kills-two-people-puts-three-more-in-jail