Updating D beyond Unicode 2.0

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Sep 23 20:49:39 UTC 2018

On 9/23/2018 9:52 AM, aliak wrote:
> Not seeing identifiers in languages you don't program in or can read in is
> expected.

On the other hand, I've been programming for 40 years. I've customized my C++
compiler to emit error messages in various languages:

https://github.com/DigitalMars/Compiler/blob/master/dm/src/dmc/msgsx.c

I've implemented SHIFT-JIS encodings, along with .950 (Chinese) and .949
(Korean) code pages in the C++ compiler.

I've worked in Japan writing software for Japanese companies.

I've sold compilers internationally for 30 years (mostly to Germany and Japan).
I did the tech support, meaning I'd see their code.

---

There's a reason why dmd doesn't have international error messages. My
experience with it is that international users don't want it. They prefer the
english messages.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find someone using non-ASCII characters
in identifiers.

---

When I visited Remedy Games in Finland a few years back, I was surprised that
everyone in the company was talking in english. I asked if they were doing that
out of courtesy to me. They laughed, and said no, they talked in English because
they came from all over the world, and english was the only language they had in
common.