D web site and accessibility

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Sep 25 08:49:13 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 25 September 2018 at 06:01:58 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Monday, 24 September 2018 at 03:50:57 UTC, Vladimir
> Panteleev wrote:
>> On Monday, 24 September 2018 at 03:16:50 UTC, Bauss wrote:
>>> like the use of b tags on the front page, they should be
>>> replaced by strong tags
>>
>> The two usages of <b> are part of the presentation, not
>> content. Their use is correct.
>
> And also representation should generally be done with <span>

It's more important how the screen reading software parses and
represents it to the user. Screen readers build their own DOM in
the background. So don't get lost in semantic details that may
have no bearing whatsoever on accessibility. I remember that a
while ago "<em>" was not supported by all browsers, that's why
devs opted for "<b>" or "<span style='font-weight: bold;'>"
(which is the one I prefer).

Usually, if a homepage is marked up normally in bog standard
HTML, then users of screen readers have no problems reading the
content. Problems may arise when it comes to things like code
examples that are somehow handled by JS or the like.

I'd say you start testing the general examples, the language
specs and the library documentation. If they're not accessible,
then a visually impaired user cannot use D.

This said, I was working with a blind person a couple of years
ago (I think it was 3 years ago) and he used D for one of his
assignments, he never had a problem with the documentation.