Updating D beyond Unicode 2.0

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 12:35:52 UTC 2018

When I make code that I expect to be only used around here, I
generally write the code itself in english but comments in my own
language. I agree that in general, it's better to stick with
english in identifiers when the programming language and the
standard library is English.

On Tuesday, 25 September 2018 at 09:28:33 UTC, FeepingCreature
wrote:
> On Friday, 21 September 2018 at 23:17:42 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> In all seriousness I hate it when someone thought its funny to
>> use the lambda symbol as an identifier and I have to copy that
>> symbol whenever I want to use it because there's no convenient
>> way to type it.
>> (This is already supported in D.)
>
> I just want to chime in that I've definitely used greek letters
> in "ordinary" code - it's handy when writing math and feeling
> lazy.

On the other hand, Unicode identifiers till have their value IMO.
The quote above is one reason for that -if there is a very
specialized codebase it may be just inpractical to letterize
everything.

Another reason is that something may not have a good translation
to English. If there is an enum type listing city names, it is
IMO better to write them as normal, using Unicode.
CityName.seinäjoki, not CityName.seinaejoki.