Forums intermittently going down?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 21:12:54 UTC 2018

On 9/25/18 5:05 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 08:41:51PM +0000, Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 25 September 2018 at 18:26:58 UTC, CharlesM wrote:
>>> Yeah it happened again today. I heard this site was made in D, maybe
>>> is because the GC?
>>
>> No, just old server hardware and database fragmentation.
>
> Wow, that's GC-phobia like I've never seen before!

Well, I thought it might be GC related also. It behaves similarly to how
you would expect a GC pause to behave (several fast responses, then one
that takes 5 seconds to come back).

But lately, I've noticed I just get the "down for maintenance" message
more than a delayed response.

In any case, I generally don't use the forum except read-only mode on my
phone. For posting, I'm generally using NNTP.

I'll note that when I started running into DB slowdowns on a system (not
related to D), adding one index fixed the issue. Sometimes linear
searches are fast enough to hide in plain sight :)

-Steve