Forums intermittently going down?

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 01:07:29 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 25 September 2018 at 21:42:40 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> How much data can there possibly be for a mailing list?

Currently, 3.8 GB.

A good part of that is the full-text index required for
searching. (It does work really well, though - no need for Lucene
or such.)

> I regularly see stories about companies using SQLite for
> databases in the hundreds of GB.

One thing possible with a traditional RDBMS that's not possible
with SQLite is processing several simultaneous requests. The
synchronous API translates to the synchronous nature of the
entire program: when the forum hits a request it needs a few
seconds to handle, it can't process any requests during that
time, even those it could answer without consulting the database
(as much is cached in RAM).