OT: Bad translations

Simen Kjærås simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 06:07:14 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 at 02:12:07 UTC, Ali Çehreli
wrote:
> On 09/24/2018 08:17 AM, 0xEAB wrote:
>
> > - Non-idiomatic translations of tech terms [2]
>
> This is something I had heard from a Digital Research
> programmer in early 90s:
>
> English message was something like "No memory left" and the
> German translation was "No memory on the left hand side" :)

My ex-girlfriend tried to learn SQL from a book that had gotten a
prize for its use of Norwegian. As a result, every single concept
used a different name from what everybody else uses, and while it
may be possible to learn som SQL from this, it made googling an
absolute nightmare. Just imagine a whole book saying CHOOSE for
SELECT, IF for WHERE, and USING instead of FROM - only worse,
since it's a different language. It even used SQL pseudo-code
with these made-up names, and showed how to translate it to
proper SQL as more of an afterthought.

--
   Simen