Warn on unused imports?

Laurent Tréguier laurent.treguier.sink at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 08:26:20 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 at 01:13:11 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> The way that C++ handles warnings is how I've seen most
> languages handle warnings. IMHO, the only time that anything
> along the lines of a warning makes sense is when the programmer
> is proactively running a tool to specifically ask to be
> informed of a potential type of problem where they will then go
> look at each of them individually and decide whether what the
> tool is telling them is valid or not - at which point, some of
> what the tool says will be followed, and some if it will be
> ignored. It's not something that should be run as part of a
> normal build process. If it is, then inevitably what happens is
> that either all of the warnings get "fixed" (at which point,
> they might as well have all been errors), or they all get
> ignored, meaning that you get a huge wall of them, and they're
> completely useless. As such, I really have nothing good to say
> about having any kind of warnings being built into the
> compiler. As I understand it, on the whole, Walter agrees with
> me and that he only added them in to dmd, because he was
> essentially bullied into it, and I wish that he'd never given
> in. And when you consider features like is(typeof(...)), the
> side effects of having -w are particularly bad.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I would say that at least deprecations make sense as warnings
from the compiler. Deprecated stuff is something the user has to
be warned about, even if they're not using a linter, since it's
going to break at some point but should be supported for a
minimum amount of time to ensure a smooth transition.