Updating D beyond Unicode 2.0

rjframe dlang at ryanjframe.com
Wed Sep 26 09:54:45 UTC 2018

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 16:27:46 +0000, Neia Neutuladh wrote:

> I've got this coded up and can submit a PR, but I thought I'd get
> feedback here first.
>
> Does anyone see any horrible potential problems here?
>
> Or is there an interestingly better option?
>
> Does this need a DIP?

I just want to point out since this thread is still living that there have
been very few answers to the actual question ("should I submit my PR?").

Walter did answer the question, with the reasons that Unicode identifier
support is not useful/helpful and could cause issues with tooling. Which
is likely correct; and if we really want to follow this logic, Unicode
identifier support should be removed from D entirely.

I don't recall seeing anyone in favor providing technical reasons, save
the OP.

Especially since the work is done, it makes sense to me to ask for the PR
for review. Worst case scenario, it sits there until we need it.