BetterC and CTFE mismatch

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 12:51:57 UTC 2018

On 9/26/18 5:08 AM, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 at 08:22:26 UTC, Simen Kjærås wrote:
>> This is essentially an arbitrary restriction. The basic reason is if a
>> function is compiled (even just for CTFE), it ends up in the object
>> files, and you've asked for only betterC functions to end up in the
>> object files.
>>
>> --
>>   Simen
>
> So anything I do at CTFE has to be betterC as well? That is a bummer.

This is an artificial, and not really intended, limitation. Essentially,
CTFE has to be a real function. If it's defined, it's expected to be
callable from runtime as well as CTFE.

But I can't see why, if you don't call from runtime, it should matter. I
think this has to do with the places betterC is enforced in the compiler.

> I'll try to workaround this, but I would like to see this fixed. Is
> there anything I can do to move this forward?

I'd suggest a bug report if one hasn't been made.

-Steve