D IDE

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Sep 27 01:54:59 UTC 2018

On 09/05/2018 01:05 PM, Ecstatic Coder wrote:

> For instance, even for contract work, I use Geany for all my developments.
>
> And a portable IDE like Geany is especially useful when developping
> *crossplatform* C++ multimedia applications which must be edited and
> tested both on Windows, MacOS and Linux.

Man, I wish SOO much, that was true of my favorite editor (Programmer's
Notepad 2). I love it, but it's a windows thing and has some issues
under wine. :( Closest I've found since I moved to Linux is a
custom-configured KDevelop, but it's still just not as good :( Heck,
maybe I'll give Geany a go...

> Personally I use Geany even for Unity game development, as Unity allows
> to define which editor should be used to show the erroneous line of C#
> code when double clicking onto an error message.

I didn't know Unity could do that! I've just been manually going to the
file/line of the error. I'll have to check into that! (Unity's relative
unfriendliness to non-Unity-oriented workflows has always been one of my
biggest pain points with it. Most normal IDEs aren't as problematic as
Unity in those ways. Even the Unity's own team had to go to some
significant lengths just to make automated builds possible, and even
then, I'm not sure you can use just any off the shelf CI system. I
really hate vertical integration.)