Warn on unused imports?

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Sep 27 18:35:58 UTC 2018

On 09/26/2018 04:37 AM, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 September 2018 at 13:03:30 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
>> I'm playing with a branch of DMD that would warn on unused imports:
>
> I humbly believe this does not belong to the compiler. These sort of
> things belong to a static code analyser TOOL. Think of
> checkstyle/findbugs in Java, or flake8/pep8 in Python world.

It amounts to the same thing. What you're talking about ultimately boils
down to nothing more than the trivial distinction between:

toolx ...
toola --do-x ...

And if you still prefer the former, that can be trivially created via
shell alias or a one-liner script.

OTOH, If you're talking about whether action X should be taken by
default, than that's an entirely orthogonal matter to whether or not it
can be included in the compiler.