Generality creep

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 05:42:17 UTC 2019

On Monday, 1 April 2019 at 00:01:04 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Sunday, 31 March 2019 at 16:18:35 UTC, Rubn wrote:
>
>> Look at this comment as someone pointed out before:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8557#pullrequestreview-149952733
>
> Yes, Andrei's review was a bit too strong but he did change
> course later in that thread.

Not to any actionable degree, the request for change is _still_
there.

> ... The fundamental problem is there isn't any real due process
> to challenge and ask for reconsideration.  (e.g.
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/9506#issuecomment-477936480
> -- No response).

Yup.

> Also recognize that the original author did not provide much
> motivation or justification (though, I'm guilty of that too).

Oh I know that, this was done specifically for Iain, and
therefore I gave no justification because he knew exactly what it
was for, W&A came and trashed the party. Hmm, I shouldn't be so
harsh, Walter's was a reasonable request (to split the bug fix
from the refactor).

Andrei's OTOH was a drive-by putdown, and he should learn a
lesson from that that there exists a line which when crossed will
cause people to cut their losses. In fact I think most (perhaps
this is a memory retention bias, but still) of my dealings with
Andrei in DMD have been drive-by, usually with bad outcomes.