DIP 1020--Named Parameters--Community Review Round 1

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Tue Apr 2 00:45:20 UTC 2019

> At any rate, this is unlikely to win a beauty contest:
>
> void fun(<bool a=b>c>);

Indeed. Hence I'm open to alternatives if we can find a good one. Its a
hard syntax to come up with while keeping it consistent with all the
current semantics.

> Also, it seems named parameters without reordering is like a wedding
> without music.

We have three schools of thought in the D community. In around equal
shares is those who think reordering is bad, and another who think its
great. Finally there is also those who don't care much. Which I think
take the larger portion.

I'm trying to find a balance between the three. None of the schools of
thought seem to win out. They each have their pros and cons. But I'm in
the belief that I have struck a good middle ground that gives us the
chance later on to either restrict or loosen once we have gotten some
experience with it.