Generality creep

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Apr 2 16:39:32 UTC 2019

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 01:26:34AM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 4/1/2019 6:11 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Had this been posted openly at the time, there might have been a lot
> > less frustration.  This is an area I feel desperately needs
> > improvement.  This repeated lack of communication of this sort of
> > thought process in one form or another is what leads to repeated
> > frustrations and conflicts, because would-be contributors feel like
> > information is being withheld that would have enabled them to better
> > understand what is expected of them.  Even if these were just vague
> > thoughts or a crude outline of what you have in mind, and nowhere
> > near something formal and "presentable", providing partial
> > information is better than no information at all.
>
> Actually, Andrei and I simply assumed this was obvious. Obviously, it
> wasn't.

Therein lies the frequent cause of miscommunications: assuming that the
other party knows or understands something, which may not necessarily be
the case.  Especially when we're talking about random strangers on the
internet, who may have had a completely different experience and
background as yourself, and therefore in all likelihood understands and
sees things differently.  Stating all assumptions up-front helps to
bridge this gap.

Ph.D. = Permanent head Damage