Generality creep

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 12:33:38 UTC 2019

On Friday, 29 March 2019 at 21:28:40 UTC, Olivier FAURE wrote:

> Seriously, I'm worried that the takeway you're getting from all
> this is "the community is unreasonable, unlike Rust's community
> which has a healthy respect for the maintainers". It's not just
> that. The D community is has a ton of people whose experience
> writing a PR is "I spent two weeks writing that code, got a
> comment from Walter six months later that asked to clarify what
> X did, I added some documentation, and I haven't had any news
> for a year".

I don't how long you've been around, but this community seems to
me as indeed unreasonable and often disrespectful (I've been
doing it too at times).

The sheer number of people trolling and wanting to hurt other
people personally over the years has been really disconcerting.

We need to attract users who _need_ D to make stuff, contribute
back (in time and money), and stop asking random useless things
every other day of the week. And the  problem compounded because
the abusive behaviour sometimes led to the most langage change!

The problem with D is that it has an "unscalable" community of
very demanding people that bring not enough, so like a startup
without scale economics it has difficulty to scale.

As a friend working on Eclipse told me, "all things being equal,
having users is a liability" so you have to ask them to create
more value than being removed.

Something that we do that I think doesn't work is... the lack of
a Code of Conduct and a rule of not banning anyone, which opens
the gate of small, constant, rampant abuse that can surface at
the first occasion.

And something we should do more is put trust into the leadership
more because, of all the mistakes they have been accused of, so
many of the decisions ended up being the right ones.