Generality creep

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 3 14:38:44 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 3 April 2019 at 14:09:49 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 April 2019 at 12:33:38 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
> wrote:
>> The sheer number of people trolling and wanting to hurt other
>> people personally over the years has been really disconcerting.
>
> I realize that it's difficult to give examples here without
> calling specific people out, but without giving examples I have
> no way to judge what your standard for "trolling and wanting to
> hurt other people personally" is. That's kind of a pretty hefty
> accusation to make without the ability to ethically provide
> evidence. I think either you need to explicitly call people out
> here or you need to formulate this more leniently, as it stands
> it's kind of like announcing "several people in this room are
> psychotic killers, I can't say who, but that's why we need to
> take urgent action."
>
> It is fundamentally epistemically improper to demand action on
> weighty evidence that cannot be ethically provided.

They seems to come and go, sometimes posing as enthusiastic users
who want some specific thing to happen and get all upset when
people don't take too kindly to it. Sometimes they impersonate
other community members and stoke the flames.

Unfortunately I don't have any links offhand (I'm madly packing)
and have forgotten the names they posted under. The egregious one
tend to be deleted from the forum interface (although I think
they are still on the mailing lis that backs it).