`ref T` should be a type!!

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Apr 4 11:34:19 UTC 2019

On 4/4/19 4:28 AM, Manu wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 4:25 PM Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, 29 March 2019 at 16:06:09 UTC, Victor Porton wrote:
>>> That `ref T` (where T is a type) is not a type is a serious
>>> design error,
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> It is a very serious problem.
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> Can the language be changed to resolve this problem?
>>
>> There is no reason to do so.
>
> I hope I've made my case... again.

It's a problem we don't have a clear vision in the community on at least
the obvious matters. Reference types are recognized even within C++ as
ho-hum. These debates are also a time-waster, collectively and
cumulatively many hours have been spent on this and of course nobody
"got convinced" of anything.

There are many areas that are positively in need of and receptive to
improvement. If only that enthusiasm was channeled that direction...