[GSoC 2019] Interested in Baremetal D Runtime and project ideas

Stefanos Baziotis sdi1600105 at di.uoa.gr
Thu Apr 4 13:56:08 UTC 2019

[GSoC 2019] Interested in Baremetal D Runtime and project ideas

Hello,

I'm Stefanos Baziotis and I'm both new to D and GSoC.
I'm an undergraduate computer science student in Greece, and
I would like to contribute to the D programming language.

Unfortunately, probably I came late on the GSoC as I learned
about it just
2 days before, so any info about it and/or D's selection process
would be greatly appreciated.

I heard about D probably a month ago from a friend, and I thought
I would
give it a try as I am not 100% satisfied with C, C++. I have to
say, that was
a really fun month. :)
After about 3000 lines (of mostly writing a not-yet-finished
compiler front-end), it was very exciting!

I'm mainly interested on the Baremetal D runtime project, as I am
mostly comfortable
with low-level C programming. I have developed some allocators [1]
and have some SIMD experience as I have written a small image
convolution MPI
program that uses AVX extensions [2].

I'm interested in other projects as well, specifically
compiler-related and the persistent data structures.

I'm very enthusiastic to learn a lot about any of these projects,
but I would like to
ask: What is the expected / required experience / knowledge /
skills?
Also, is this the best place to discuss about this subject?

Best regards,
Stefanos Baziotis

[1] https://github.com/baziotis/Allocators
[2] https://github.com/baziotis/2D-Image-Convolution-MPI-SIMD