[GSoC 2019] Interested in Baremetal D Runtime and project ideas

Stefanos Baziotis sdi1600105 at di.uoa.gr
Sat Apr 6 18:52:04 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 6 April 2019 at 17:50:39 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 13:56:08 UTC, Stefanos Baziotis
> wrote:
>> [GSoC 2019] Interested in Baremetal D Runtime and project ideas
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> [...]
>
> What is in the runtime we need for baremetal projects that
> betterC doesn't provide?

There are a number of routines for which D currently calls the C
standard library equivalent. For example, memcpy, memmove etc.
and also malloc(), free() etc.
The idea is that these should be implemented in D to provide a
more baremetal
environment for D, for limited resources (aka embedded systems).
Note that the C standard library provides a lot of benefits for
the general case, mainly that it has been used and tested for
years.

https://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2019_Ideas#Baremetal_D_runtime