does D already have too many language features ?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 17:20:00 UTC 2019

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 4:25 AM Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 8 April 2019 at 09:46:06 UTC, adam77 wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I started using D as an alternative to Java, what attracted me
> > to D was the robust memory management (including the way arrays
> > are handled), and interoperability with C (specifically
> > libraries) so far so good, but almost every language out there
> > (maybe with the exception of C) seems the eschew language
> > stability in favour of adopting whatever the latest fad is in
> > programming languages features. I see on forums for a number of
> > languages how features like lambda's or auto properties are
> > essential to their language or if they are missing some feature
> > how its a major detriment to the language. I sometimes wonder
> > how a Turing machine could ever manage...
> >
> > I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinion, does the
> > language have enough features? is it already overloaded with
> > features ?
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated!
>
> I think it has too many features, but that's really easy to say
> in hindsight and without actually ever developing a language
> myself.
>
> It's also hard to agree on what we'd cut out even if we had the
> code-breaking chance (which we don't). I'd do away with classes
> and OOP, but to call that divisise would be an understatement.

That would eject me from the boat.
That said, I think classes as a discreet feature might be unnecessary.
classes could be removed if the language were able to express class
semantics in a struct as a library. That's tricky as hell without ANY
compiler support though. I can't imagine a way to add concepts like
`virtual` and `override` as library. It would probably require AST
macros.