does D already have too many language features ?

bpr brogoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 13:27:49 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 11 April 2019 at 12:09:10 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Monday, 8 April 2019 at 09:46:06 UTC, adam77 wrote:
>> I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinion, does the
>> language have enough features? is it already overloaded with
>> features ?
>
> D is a general-purpose, multi-paradigm programming language.

Perhaps that's a problem. It's difficult to serve many masters,
and serve them all exceedingly well.

> As such it must have "too many features" - to low-level
> programmers GC, OO, and related is most likely "too much".

That's how I see it too. When I wear my "low level programmer"
hat, I want something like DasBetterC, perhaps a bit more, but
maybe with Rustish safety guarantees.

> For high-level developers focused on enterprise services and
> applications on the other hand GC and OO are natural choice...

I don't work in that domain, but in, say, data science I'd prefer
something like Julia, with GC and multimethods.

> What I really find as an annoying problem is that almost all D
> features are half-baked...

That could, at least partly, be a consequence of trying to do too
many things.