does D already have too many language features ?

bpr brogoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 22:54:49 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 11 April 2019 at 14:18:16 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> Do you know this science project https://github.com/biod? The
> develops really like the D Programming Language.
> (https://github.com/biod/sambamba/issues/389#issuecomment-468475615)

I do now, thanks. You should be aware that there are similar
projects, not just in bioinformatics, where Rust is the language
of choice. That doesn't make me think Rust is well suited for
data science. As I said earlier, I now think of Julia as my
preferred language for that set of tasks; that was the focus of
its design. My sense is that D was originally going to be a
better C++ but that that didn't pan out for a number of reasons.
Of the current alternatives to C++, Rust appears to have the most
traction and momentum, but is still a very long ways from being a
serious competitor.

Now that there seems to be a desire from on high to revisit some
D issues and change things, maybe D will gain in popularity, but
for what I would use D for, fewer features would make a better
language IMO.