food for thought - swift 5 released - bottom types, string interpolation, and stuff.

Alex AJ at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 23:10:21 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 11 April 2019 at 21:21:16 UTC, Dennis wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 April 2019 at 20:32:33 UTC, mate wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 10 April 2019 at 21:39:36 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> "Stack Overflow questions: c - How do I check if an integer
>>> is even or odd? 300,000+ views java - Check whether number is
>>> even or odd 350,000+ views Check if a number is odd or even
>>> in python 140,000+ views"
>>>
>>> Huh.
>>
>> Shocking indeed.
>
> I don't get it. What's shocking about it, that people often
> need to know the parity of a number or that people aren't born
> with the knowledge that the % operator can be used for that?

Exactly, but funny how you attacked me for calling a person
ignorant yet say the same thing. We are all born ignorant. There
was a time when everyone in this forum and all the "greatest"
programmers didn't even know what an even number was.

We are all born in to ignorance and as we learn we add to our
knowledge base. There are 7B people on this planet, if 1/10 of
those are children and 1/10 of those are kids that are into
programming and if we further drop it down 1/10*1/100 just for
the hell of it, that is 70k.

Also, I doubt views are a good estimate of what is related to how
much people know something.

The shocking fact is, is that all human beings know squat in the
absolute since. We are all morons... some of us, well, very few,
just realize that.

You can bet there is a musician somewhere in some forum saying
how shocking it is that "What is a tritone" got 100k views and
thinks everyone else in the world is a moron for not knowing
that... and he's right, he just forgets to include himself. Or
some chemist and talking about some basic chemistry fact... or
whatever.

The problem with knowledge/intelligence is that those who have
the least of it think they have the most.