food for thought - swift 5 released - bottom types, string interpolation, and stuff.

Julian julian.fondren at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 07:04:07 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 06:14:05 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> Parson me here, but: Bullshit.
> But here's the problem: That's your superpower. It's enviable,
> it's impressive,
> In short: I...know...low-level. Period.
>
> And yet, even *I* look at "x & 1" or "x % 2", and my first
> instinct is..."WTF is going on...?

This is some incredibly strident language to deploy in favor of
isOdd/isEven. Is isOdd actually Julius Caesar? Is this speech
directed at Brutus? After this kind of talk, it would be an
embarrassment if the other party said "OK, actually I agree."
The crowd expects a ritual suicide.

Meanwhile, if you ask a random programmer for a FizzBuzz, you'll
probably get something with a mod 15 in it. IMO that's an obvious
optimization of the task, something you'd think about *after*
writing more naive code that more closely follows the task
description. But everyone knows it now. Their ability to remember
this bit of numerical trivia didn't require them to first become
the "elite of the elite" of programmers.