Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Tofu Kaitlyn katemmons0 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 07:35:05 UTC 2019

Sorry for that title, but this is something I have been thinking
about for a while...

I honestly feel like D is a failure. I kinda just wanted to vent
about it and see what other people think.

I have been using D since around 2012 or 2013, instantly fell in
love, use to post on the forms a lot under the name Tofu Ninja. I
was convinced D was the future but since then I have become
disheartened. The biggest thing that makes me feel like this is
that in the 7 years I have been using D I literally have never
met another programmer IRL who has even heard of it. I put on my
resume that I like D and every interview I get asked about it,
having to explain what D even is because they have never heard of
it. I have never seen a job posting listing D. Never see any
projects pop up on /r/programming using D. It feels like to the
rest of the programming universe, D doesn't even exist. Sometimes
I see threads on reddit like "what's your favorite programming
language" and I always look for D but never find it.

And honestly I don't think that is going to change. I feel like D
has failed.

I duno... what do yall think? Is D going to somehow explode in
popularity in 5-10 years? Am I missing some part of the picture?
Or am I right and if so what can be done about it?