Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Apr 12 11:52:18 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 09:56:48 UTC, Nierjerson wrote:
> On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 07:35:05 UTC, Tofu Kaitlyn wrote:
>
> Yes D has failed if the goal is wide adoption. [...]

Well, what can I say that hasn't been said before (including this
thread)? Since I said good-bye to D last year my productivity has
increased incredibly. I read a few days ago that Joakim had left
the community (he once asked me why my attitude had changed so
drastically). And you know what, it made me kinda sad. Do things
like that even register with the D Foundation  and / or
community? One answer was "this would be an excellent topic for
this year's GSoC", which is a total and utter lack of respect
(although I hasten to say that I think the poster wasn't aware of
this and didn't intend it this way). It has never occurred to the
D leadership that Android and iOS are more important to
developers than introducing yet another
RefFancyTemplateCTFERangeAllocator which is memory safe, but not
really, but it will be after DIP2001.

Now there is talk of re-writing D, after the umpteenth half baked
feature was introduced. We'll see, we'll see. IMO, the trouble
really started when the D Foundation was set up. Instead of
streamlining and stabilizing D, the whole thing turned into a
closed shop with a "Hey, we are the lads" kinda attitude, and any
CS theory or fashion of the day would finally be half baked into
the language without a second thought. Without paying attention
to users and the answer to complaints would be "we want to turn D
into a functional style memory safe [...] language, that's why we
had to introduce RefFancy, so eff your code!", except it still
isn't and RefFancy has to be removed or replaced! Who would have
guessed it would be at loggerheads with FancyRange!?

It's the year 2019 (D is almost 20 years old), a lot of new
languages have a sounder approach than D, they see what works and
what doesn't, what programmers need (e.g. ARM) and what they
don't need. Which is being pragmatic, and being pragmatic is a
thing that D claims to be. A joke. Programmers need to get sh*t
done, you know?

And apart from all the fancy feature madness, there's this
arrogant attitude towards users. To avoid criticism my words were
twisted in such an obvious and blatant way that it was just
ridiculous. And what's really funny is that mistakes made by the
leadership, and the leadership alone, are now being socialized as
in "the community this, the community that, and this has to
change!". Ah, give me a break.

The sad thing is that D had it all long before younger languages
had it, but it preferred to drink all its money in the pub,
dreaming of fancy features, mañana, mañana...

PS For D zealots: add your favorite insult here, e.g. "entitled
[...]"