Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

thedeemon dlang at thedeemon.com
Fri Apr 12 13:10:15 UTC 2019

> On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 07:35:05 UTC, Tofu Kaitlyn wrote:
>> The biggest thing that makes me feel like this is that in the
>> 7 years I have been using D I literally have never met another
>> programmer IRL who has even heard of it. I put on my resume
>> that I like D and every interview I get asked about it, having
>> to explain what D even is because they have never heard of it.
>> I have never seen a job posting listing D. Never see any
>> projects pop up on /r/programming using D. It feels like to
>> the rest of the programming universe, D doesn't even exist.

Personally I've noticed both on reddit and on some
non-English-speaking social networks that at least awareness
about D has risen a lot in last 2-3 years. More people know it
exists and some are at least familiar with its nicer features.
Maybe a lot less who actually use it. IRL around me everyone
knows about D, but that's because I work in a D-using company. ;)

But in general I understand your feeling. There are so many
languages now, not everyone can be in top 10, so there is a lot
of second-tier ones. Usable for whoever is brave enough to use
them, but not mainstream. D is one of them, that's ok for me. I
love such languages, be it D, OCaml, Clean, Pony or even less
known ones. Shall we call "not in top-10" a failure? Depends on
the original goals, I guess.

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 09:56:48 UTC, Nierjerson wrote:
> Yes D has failed if the goal is wide adoption. It will never
> gain wide recognition and use because the D community fails to
> realize that it's more than just the compiler and libraries.

With a small community, without a big corporation behind a
language, it's hard to expect anything else. The situation is
very similar for most second-tier languages.

> D has no decent gui, gui designer, no decent audio library, no
> decent graphics library, no decent anything.

Back in 2012 I used DFL for GUI on Windows (pretty decent) and it
came with Entice Designer - a GUI tool for building GUIs with
DFL. I guess now it's probably abandoned, but it did work ok back
then. I've made a few apps with DFL. Then some more with DLangUI,
another fine GUI library, even cross-platform this time. Graphics
library? I dunno, what should be there that's not already in one
of D libs available? For me, if it's raster graphics, being able
to create bitmaps and output them is usually enough, I can do the
rest by hand (I started doing graphics when it was just "mov ax,
13h; call 10h; now we have a memory-mapped 320x200 bitmap with
256 colours palette, enjoy!") People make 3D engines in D, I've
made a video processing app in D and another about photo
processing.
Audio processing? Probably. That's niche enough, people like
p0nce do it manually in D but professionaly. Again, it's hard to
expect a big variety of high-quality tools and libraries from a
small community of enthusiasts. But that's only natural.