Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Apr 12 14:24:05 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 13:50:42 UTC, SrMordred wrote:
> On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 08:02:30 UTC, JN wrote:
>> more behind the scenes, around the same level of popularity as
>> Nim, Crystal.
>
> Since i think this is a talk about popularity...
>
> I feel that Nim and Crystal have WAY more adoption/popularity
> than D, but im not sure if both are backed by any great group
> (like Rust).
>
> So I think a good point to focus this discussion is, why Nim
> and Crystal got the lead in popularity but not D?

Crystal and Nim also have C interop and afaik support Android and
iOS (correct me if I'm wrong) and JS. C interop was one of the
features that turned me onto D.

https://crystal-lang.org/reference/overview/

https://nim-lang.org/docs/backends.html

Mind you, the first thing a lot of people ask is "Can I use it on
mobile and is it painless to do so?". This is the reality of
things. Kotlin devs realized that. Language adoption is not
_only_ about language features, it's about usefulness too. This
is why they simplified Scala.

I don't know about Crystal and Nim (they're still very young),
but Kotlin, for example, ships with certain guarantees that give
you security. Updates usually bring new and useful features that
are not random and don't break existing code. I know, some people
may be tempted to say "Ah, that's a language for mediocre coders,
real wizards use D, those who read their books in binary format!"
But what good is a language you cannot really use as a "general
purpose" language, and general purpose includes multiple
platforms.