Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Apr 12 14:30:53 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 07:35:05AM +0000, Tofu Kaitlyn via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I honestly feel like D is a failure.
[...]
> I duno... what do yall think? Is D going to somehow explode in
> popularity in 5-10 years?
[...]

There lies the problem: you're equating success with popularity.  They
can be correlated, to some extent, but they are certainly not the same
thing.

Personally, I couldn't care less about popularity. After what I've seen
in the industry over the past 2-3 decades, I've become very cynical
about popularity.  What I *do* care for is a language with strong
technical merit. D has that, to some extent -- I'm not going to pretend
D is perfect either, as I do find a lot to be desired in it.  But it's
much better than the alternatives I've tried, so for the time being,
it's my language of choice.

But obviously, YMMV.

War doesn't prove who's right, just who's left. -- BSD Games' Fortune