Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Apr 12 14:44:06 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 13:57:24 UTC, Radu wrote:

> Interesting.
>
> While I don't know your work with Dlang, I quite regret having
> Joaking leaving the community.
> He contributed greatly to the Android port, code reviews, and
> LDC, to name a few. He helped me alot with reviews and feedback
> on bugs.
> I hope he would change his mind someday.

The question is: What made him leave? Nobody seems to care about
that, which I find both surprising and sad. He wasn't just a
random user, you know?

> I'm fascinated on what makes you, or any other poster vent on
> the forums?
> Assuming trolling is out of the question.

No, I'm not trolling, I don't even visit the forum regularly
anymore.

> If you find that Dlang doesn't work for you, and there is no
> match between expectations and reality, I think one would just
> mind their business and move on.

The blame is constantly put on the user "your expectations were
too high, what did you expect?". It doesn't occur to anyone that
the completely chaotic language development may turn people off?
As you mentioned (high) expectations, you're indirectly admitting
that D is sub-substandard. "D is great! But don't expect too
much!" That's funny.

> One would think that having so vivid reactions on things that
> don't work out for you, would mean that you have a vested
> interest.

Conjecture and assumptions. Now you tell me what possible vested
interest I could have. Do you think I'm a shill of Big Software
that wants to destroy small software? Yeah no, don't address the
criticism but accuse critics of having a vested interest. It's an
all too common pattern when people begin to realize that the
emperor is wearing no clothes.[1]

> There are open PRs that sit on Github rotting, you have a list
> of bugs that you added but you got no response or some
> unsatisfactory response, you donated a bunch of money for a
> goal that was not realized. Something?

Where should I start?

> I can see that constructive criticism can be applied anytime,
> this is desired and healthy. There are really annoying things
> with Dlang management, I really hate the whole Interpolated
> Strings debacle for example, but I see that there is wish to
> improve and steps are made to fix them.

D would have to be rewritten. It's become unmaintainable. Also,
constructive criticism is usually shrugged off with the remark
"What did you expect? A functional language? Go on!"

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Clothes